Sunday, December 14, 2008

the Bible, sola scriptura, and agnostic idolaters

I had a couple of conversations with two of my in-laws this week--the spouse of my wife's older brother, and the husband of my wife's twin sister. It's kinda fun being the token pastor in a family of church goers. It's kinda like "ask the pastor things that other pastors won't give you a straight answer on" at times, and I enjoy it.

The conversation that I had with my wife's sister's husband (does that make him my brother-in-law?) was about baptism. He was sprinkled as an infant in a Lutheran church, now attends a mainstream evangelical/Baptist church, and is looking to become a member. Of course, at his current church, they require baptism by immersion in order to become a member. So, he's been doing some researching about it, and I was one of his subjects of inquiry.

I had done some work last year or so on the history and theology of the practice of baptism as kind of a preemptive strike, per se, as my church is confronting some of the same issues. As you grow larger, and as more people from different backgrounds and traditions enter your church, you tend to become a little more centrist--clinging to the things that really do matter, and letting go of things that are just more peripheral.

Anyways, as I was sharing with him what I had written, I was reminded of why baptism is such a hot button, especially in a lot of evangelical circles. It's because of this thing called sola scriptura.

Sola scriptura is Latin for "Only Scripture." It was one of the tenets that led Martin Luther to separate himself from the Roman Catholic Church a few hundred years back, sparking the Protestant Reformation from which evangelicals today trace their roots. Sola scriptura states that the authority of the Bible and personal interaction with it should be held on the same level as the authority of the institutional church and church tradition.

Some evangelical circles (and Baptists in particular) take this principle to heart and, searching the Scriptures, find more evidence for practicing baptism by immersion on adult converts than they find evidence for sprinkling infants.

And that was significant for my brother-in-law. What he needed to know was this: he wasn't just brushing up against a different interpretation of a historical church practice; he was brushing up against a value that evangelicals cling to and hold dear: personally interacting and interpreting the Bible.

And, believe it or not, that story is just a set-up to what I really want to say.

There's something that is so beautiful, so valuable, so life-giving about searching the Scriptures freely and passionately, with the right tools, in a good community, with learned and mature believers, by the Spirit, and then submitting oneself to the chosen interpretation.

But: more and more of us dismiss that. Some of us even trample on that.

That makes me sound self-righteous, holier-than-thou, and maybe even insulated. I know. And I hate that perhaps that tone makes you dismiss what I am saying. But see for yourselves if it isn't true. See if what I'm describing doesn't accurately depict you, or those with whom you live life.

Here's what I see:

I see a growing generation of agnostic idolaters.

Yep. That sounds really harsh. But it gets even worse.

We are agnostic because we cry mystery too much--or, perhaps, we cry mystery where the Bible does not. Yes, that's more like it. When we are confronted with a clear biblical claim that goes against our own personal preference or a cultural value, we seem to shrug our shoulders and go our own way, bow to culture, or remain in some sort of nebulous grayness that is neither here nor there... and even consider ourselves pious for doing so.

We are idolaters because we sometimes put spiritual claims to our agnosticism, and in doing so, make God into our own image of him. For example: the Bible defines love, and gives many examples of what it is, and what it is not. But we--we use the phrase "my God is a loving God" to justify whatever behavior we choose. "My God is a loving God, so... (fill in the blank)." And yet, the Bible also states that God hates sin, and is very clear on what sin is as well.

And yet--and yet--we don't wrestle with those things. We don't go to the Scripture and search like we should. And if we do, and we see what the Scripture says, we don't sumbit ourselves to it. We worm our way around it, or make it say something the authors didn't intend, or say things like "Who's to say that your interpretation is right, and mine's wrong?" And agnosticism rears its ugly head once again, trumping sola scriptura and the beautiful life that God offers as we embrace and submit ourselves to it.

Some things are mysterious--like the depths of God's love, how all of God's attributes and perfections fit together and work together perfectly, or how God can prompt and move without cancelling the free and authentic choices of human beings. But other things are not.

There is a God, he can be known, and there is a devastating price to pay for crafting him in your own image.

But thank God that he is very skilled at breaking down the images that we create.

And I am no different. He's broken mine down before, and I pray that he continues to do it.

Please, God: break the image of my generation, so that we can see You for You, and not who we have created You to be.

4 comments:

Kristin's Chronicles said...

I really appreciate what you wrote here, Jesse, as I have watched several of my friends (our generation) go up against the idea of "absolute truth." Your thoughts immediately brought me back to the idea of Scripture's inerrancy and divine nature that is absolutely perfect. Maybe I'm off on a tangent, but basically what I'm trying to say is that I am going to continue to chew on these ideas because I like how you just throw it out there, and your thoughts are the very same ones that I've been trying to put my finger on with little success lately...so thanks!

PS-It was fun to stumble on to your blog. Hope all is well with you and the wifey!

Anonymous said...

Great post! Well did he get dunked or not? I was not baptized as a child, I was baptized when as a young adult. I am grateful that I made the decision to follow my Savior, emulating His baptism, at least as i understand it. My problem with infant baptism, as i have seen it practiced in Roman Catholic churches, is that the infant is baptized based on "borrowed faith" from the God parents. I can find no biblical reference for borrowed faith. Also I do not think children are in danger of Hell, and I make that assumption also on scripture, especially Jonah when the Lord asked him if he had concern for the children who knew not their right hand from their left, and Luke"s account of the development of Jesus as a child, that He knew right and wrong before He ate solid food.
Amen, it is great to search the Word!!
let me know how the sister's Wife's brother's uncle'... eh' who ever he is makes out.

Anonymous said...

Hey Jesse,

1- Yes. I am very short, and a lot of the kids are taller than me, which means I bend down very few times in a day. Smarty pants.

2- I really like reading your posts because they remind me of our great discussions, our leadership team, and the sermons I was able to hear you give.

3- Interesting topic. I was obviously intrigued by your take on the "Mystery Argument" that people sometimes give to the parts of God they do not understand or agree with. [Side note: What a crock of shit to only agree with parts of God, or parts of the Bible. It's sort of an all-or-nothing when it comes down to it, and yet so difficult to claim it all.]

I found it interesting that [at least in your post] you seem to pin this "mystery" claim to those who are seeking a justification for their behaviors. I agree with your stance, when this is the case, but I see other sides of the claim to mystery.

I just read this post:
http://benamydau.blogspot.com/2008/12/not-magic.html

It's my friend Amy Dau that I worked at Riverside with, summer of '07. She speaks a little of the battle between MAGIC God, and MYSTERIOUS God. I found it interesting, along with your post, [Because they both used the word mystery?] because neither of these posts resonated with my own understanding of the M word.

When I first began to see God as mysterious in ways that I had never seen before, it was due to a few factors. Reading Shane Claiborne's, Irresistible Revolution, whilst simultaneously reading through the book of John, and friends coming to me with problems and questions that I just did not have answers for. This was summer of '07. My dreaded summer. The one I prayed about, felt sick about, cried about. You gave me a book, Three Kings. It made a lot of sense, and I remember the day I decided to go ahead and work at Riverside.

This was the beginning of The Unanswerable God, the one who was more mysterious than I had ever imagined.

I have this thing that's been slowly changing in my life, this thing about having all the answers. I figure, the information is out there, I might as well know it, and pass it on when I can. This translates to this feeling that I need to be right when I open my mouth, and suddenly [that summer] I was finding myself with no words for some people's questions.

To top of their life-circumstances that were unanswerable, [besides the worn-out "God's in control." line,] I was discovering some severe complexities in this man called Christ. Nothing he was doing in that book of John was making sense to me at all. I distinctly remember discussing the ODDness of Jesus with a fellow-counselor that summer, and some continued discussions later on that Fall as I wrestled to understand.

I didn't doubt him, or his work...

...I was beginning to doubt our interpretation of him.

It seemed as though people tried to paint this picture of who Jesus was, but when I compared their painting to what I was reading, it didn't match up. Jesus "...made a whip out of chords..." and then drove people from the temple. He healed his enemies, fed the hungry, and snuck into Jerusalem. YES... snuck. And why?

I'm a "cause" person. I like to think about why something happened the way that it did. Some people are "effect" people, and some are "correlation" people. I look at these passages, and ask questions [it's what I'm good at] but I quickly discovered that a lot of my questions had NO answers.

An odd feeling when the rest of your "gang" is telling you that the Bible holds all the answers to life's questions.

It was then that I had to force myself to accept that there are certain things that I just cannot know for sure. Like, why did Jesus make a whip? And was he trying to speak to EVERY person when he disarmed Peter? Why was he sneaky? Why those words at that time? I just couldn't be sure, and on top of that, NO ONE could be sure.

MYSTERY.

It was almost a dreaded word in my mouth. Like drinking sand in your water. An understanding that I couldn't understand everything. God knowing, HAD to be enough. This... was my battle. Fighting for answers to the many questions that would follow this discovery, only to uncover a truth that surpassed all the others: I can't know everything.

____________________

Sometimes, I have been as your post describes. Using mystery as a catch-all for the things I don't understand, or the parts with which I can't bring myself in agreement.

The part that brings me hope, is that I'm not settled with the answer being: "mystery"

I've got questions, and I want answers, and I'd give anything to know them beyond the shadow of a doubt. I just don't right now. I don't have some of my answers that I can run with beyond a shadow of a doubt.

There are things I believe to be true...

...but we'll save that for another rant-fest.

Thanks for the spurring of thoughts.

[ps- I applied to Metro in Denver. I wanna be a P.E. Teacher. And I'm done talking myself out of it. There's too much life to live to hold yourself back from your dreams. Or something inspiring like that.] :)

Jesse said...

Kristin-
Hey! Glad to see that your face popped up here.

Thanks for your thoughts. I don't think you're off on a tangent, since the idea of absolute truth is very closely related to what I posted. And while I do think there are such things as absolute truths, I think we have to be very, very careful as to which truths we assign to that category. Also, when we do assign truths to that category, I think that we would be better suited to love people with them, instead of hate people with them.

All of that said, there are some things that the Bible seems to claim as being either commended, prohibited, or simply true, across both time and culture. How we apply them might change with culture, and we should take note of that. But to dismiss something that the Bible puts before us because our culture does so is unwise.

Willo-
Thanks for the personal info! Wow... I'm kind of impressed with myself that my blog came up #2 when you searched for "young pastors."

I don't know what decision my brother-in-law made. I don't think he's decided yet. But what I really liked about his approach is that he wanted to know more and learn more about it, before he decided one way or the other. I think he was affirming sola scriptura in his actions, which speaks really highly of him. I'll be sure to keep you posted. :)

AJ-
I MISS you being around here. But, I'm glad that we can still talk about wonderful things in thoughtful ways, even if it's on a blog.

I liked Amy's post--she is referring to mystery in the way the Bible does: that of the mystery of Christ--namely, the beauty of his union with God, of our union with him, and the depth of love found in all of it. Way beyond formula or some sort of system.

It's interesting, your take on mystery. It strikes me as kind of extreme: like, either I know EXACTLY why Jesus did/said something, or I know NOTHING about why Jesus did/said something. Either I think the Bible has ALL of the answers about ALL of life's questions, or I conclude that it's all mysterious.

Now, that may not accurately or fully represent your current impression of mystery as it relates to the Bible (like you said, there are things that you hold to be true). But I would say that some of the things that you're throwing into the mystery bucket aren't all that mysterious, even by the Bible's accounts.

Why did Jesus make a whip and drive out the moneychangers in the temple? Probably for the reason given in the text: they were making God-worship into something other than what God wanted. And that makes Jesus angry, because that makes God angry.

Why was Jesus sneaking so much according to John's account? Perhaps it had something to do with the order that the chief priests and Pharisees gave to everyone to report Jesus to them so that they could arrest him (John 11:57). Perhaps it had something to do with the crowds and crowds of people following his every move, like some type of Roman paparazzi (John 6:14-15). Or maybe it was because the more public things Jesus did and said, the more some of the Jews wanted to murder him (John 7:1), which would have sped up the crucifixion timetable past what God desired (see especially Jesus' words in 7:6-9, immediately after Jesus' own family asked him the exact same question that you just posed).

Now, maybe I sound exactly like one of those "the Bible has all of the answers to all of life's mysterious questions" type of people. But you know me much better than that. The point that I'm trying to make here is this: just like we can be too quick to throw something into the "absolute, beyond-a-shadow-of-a-doubt truth" bucket, we can be too quick to throw something into the mystery bucket. And why do we do this? Well, from my standpoint, because:

-we don't know how to hold something to be true, even when our culture does not;

-we don't know how to live a biblical truth out when it either does not come naturally to us, or when circumstances make it extremely difficult or costly to do so;

-we are afraid of how people we love and Jesus needs to save might label us, run away from us, or hurt us;

-we don't have the tools to determine what is mysterious, what is not, and what is in between as we study the Bible.