Monday, January 19, 2009

approachable

This is another post inspired by one of our classes here at Prairie Lakes Church for which I'm writing the curriculum. This class is on loving people. The chosen text is written by one of the most influential professor's I've had, Craig Blomberg. His book that we're using is entitled Contagious Holiness: Jesus' Meals with Sinners. From this book I'm reminded of a story in the Gospels where a prostitute enters a meal Jesus was sharing with his peers--men of stature all--and the woman weeps at Jesus' feet, wiping them with her tears, drying them with her hair.

And it wasn't like Jesus preached this killer sermon or wrote this powerful song or anything. He's just sitting there.

Maybe he had talked with this woman personally at one time. Maybe she had caught something he had said while standing in the crowd. Maybe she watched him deal devastating blow after blow to the religious leaders who had for so long ruled over her with a condemning eye. Maybe she was inspired by his courage as he preached the same message, undeterred by the threats on his life, and followed up his words with his actions seamlessly.

Or maybe she had only heard rumors about this man, and they were enough for the Holy Spirit to crack open her heart to the kindness of a God who was about to sacrifice his Son on her behalf.

And I think:

Am I like Jesus in that way?

So I pray:

God, make me like that. Make me more effective in the lives of those who are living as your enemies than those who claim allegiance to your kingdom. Let the love that I live by inspire repentance in those who have yet to repent. Give me the courage to stand against the attacks of the enemy that come in the form of "religious" conviction. Let me garner my testimony and stake my reputation on the stories from profane lips rather than praise from a sterilized tongue.

Even if it costs me my life.

Even if it costs me my life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Who thinks about Jesus just sitting there. I am glad you brought that image to mind. I am learning that some times the people I am trying to minister to just need me to be with them, spend time doing nothing. This thought of
Jesus just sitting there will help.

I finally responded to your post at my blog, my spam filter ate it.
I am surprises at you! "Pissith against the wall man" must be a real blast a t a party, right?
I Love the Youtube! thanks Bro.