Wednesday, January 14, 2009

needles and babies

I've been meaning to write about this for sometime now, because it struck me when I heard it. But, the holidays being what they are as a local church employee, I have had to wait for time again to write.

I'm in a small group that's made up of married couples at a similar life stage to Erin and me. And, as it turns out, people in our life stage crank out kids like they're going out of style. So, about every month or so, we cancel small group in lieu of heading to the hospital to welcome a newborn into the world. It's pretty great.

One newborn in our group has been around now for about 8 weeks or so. She now is a regular fixture at our group meetings, as her parents bring her along. During one of our final meetings before Christmas, she came in with two bandages on her legs; one on each of her thighs. She had gotten some vaccines earlier in the day.

Of course, her parents told the story of being in the room and having to help hold her down as the nurse gave her the shots. As I was listening I began visualize myself in that situation someday--having to hold my infant to the table as the nurse pokes needles into his or her legs. That stuff doesn't make me uneasy; in fact, I think I would face something like that pretty well. After all, it's just another part of life.

And that struck me. It's a part of life.

Welcome to the world, little infant, where you are completely vulnerable. Welcome to this world, little one, where pain is a reality, woven into the very fabric of life. Welcome to a place where you need to be protected from disease, or you will most certainly die. Welcome to a life where you won't always understand the pain you experience, even when you are an adult.

Welcome to a life where you will always need someone to save you from something.

There are evidences of God everywhere, aren't there? Even in pain.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ouch.

Oh my gosh. I hate needles to no end. I haven't received a shot in years without either literally passing out, or needing to lie down. So embarrassing.

I had to get tested for TB the other day as part of my application for teacher licensing, and I made the nurse give me a band-aid. [It makes an odd lump on your arm, and it creeped me out.]

She gave me a weird look. It wasn't even a nice, sympathetic look. It was like, "Wow. Really? You're a wussy."

She then informed me that if I was enrolled in the nursing program I was gonna "have problems."

ha.

Anyways... yeah, little infant, welcome to the world. I wish there was a way to protect you, and yet, I hope you learn healthy dealing habits to cope with the hurt that you will inevitably experience. It makes all the difference.

Speaking of babies...

..where's Jesse Jr.?

Jesse said...

Great question. Jesse Jr., if there is one, is still in the mind of God. We hope that he will soon come, but if not, we're ok with Jack Jr., or Emily Jr., or whoever other Jr. who needs a home.

Anonymous said...

that's pretty frickin sweet Jesse.

hopin the best for you, no matter what.